Tuesday, October 18, 2011

RAMEN YAMADAYA - TORRANCE, CA

Along wit Mark aka 9half and CantStayJose, we went on a field trip to Torrance for a lunch time treat. I had eaten here once before but I just had ramen. I kept hearing from some Japanese guys that this place had good tsukemen, which is a dipping ramen.
I was on a mission; all I wanted was their tsukemen. I'd only had it once out of the ramen truck a few months ago but other than that, I hadn't eaten in years.
The place was pretty standard on the inside. Short line outside, we waited like15 minutes but it was around lunch time. No big deal.
We started with the kara-age, which is basically Japanese style fried chicken. Kara-age always tends to be a lighter fried chicken than most Americans are used to. Lighter batter and not as oily. Brawny makes a good kara-age.
Yamadaya's speciality is their tonkotsu ramen. Tonkotsu is a broth based on pork or pork bone. Most shops add their own variation to it. CantStayJose ordered the Kotteri Tonkotsu Ramen, above. Looks like they added some burnt sesame oil to it.
Mark had the Charsiu Tonkotsu Ramen, which he mopped up accordingly.The standard bamboo shoot, seaweed and shoyu egg is in there too.
I had exactly what I came here for. Tsukemen! I ordered the Charsiu Tsukemen. So you take a little something-something out of the bowl, dip it into the warm broth, then you're ready to go.

The broth is extra tasty, more tasty than your standard ramen broth which is why you just need a quick dip. It's excellent. Lots of bits of pork in there, along with pork fat for flavor. I'd go back here for my next craving of tsukemen... in fact, if you eat here, I highly suggest it. Don't be a wuss - try it!


3118 W 182nd St
Torrance, CA 90504
(310) 380-5555

*They also just opened in Culver City with new locations in Costa Mesa and Westwood coming up before the end of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment