Tuesday, May 24, 2011

BABETTE BAKERY - LONG BEACH, CA

First of all I need Madame Melanie to check this place out. Maybe Monsieur Stevie can take her right away. Those two know food.

So... in the middle of all that is Long Beach, near the corner of Atlantic and Anaheim, sits this little wonder. I read about it on yelp.com and their reviews are pretty good. Funny, some people write reviews on yelp as if they're going to eat at some top notch ritzy restaurant or something. Even if its some burger place on the corner. Geez, get over it. Especially if its a diamond in the rough like a French bakery in the middle of our beloved city.
Sasha had eaten here before, I think maybe more than once, but my usual daytime work hours kept me away... and you know how the weekend goes, its usually busy. I happen to have the day off and absolutely HAD TO chickity-check it out.
I love good, fresh baguettes. I'll eat one whole in one sitting. Just give me butter and its gone. I always eat them while thinking where have you been all my life? but I know exactly where it has NOT been, which was in Hawaii. Of course you get all kindsa breads and such back home, but I don't remember baguettes being as good as the ones I get here from the Cambodian or Vietnamese spots around town.
After a look at the menu, I went for the prosciutto/brie/pesto panini. Maybe not so French. I don't even know what French food actually is. I've had it many times before, but I'm not gonna fake it. That's why I need Melanie to check this place out. My lunch was excellent. I really dig prosciutto so I'm always drawn to it.
Sasha went for the sloppy joe special they had that day. I was pretty surprised by her choice. I took a bite of it and it was pretty, uh, south-westerny. It was good but maybe I wouldn't come here for that.
The desserts here looked absolutely choice. I'm going to have to come back here to look more into this place. So do you. Go check it out. They do have a few tables inside so it's a excellent place for lunch.
1404 Atlantic Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90813-2013
(562) 218-8877

No comments:

Post a Comment