Wednesday, July 13, 2011

KINKY REGGAE

SO what I really like talking about is not work related stuff... for example this fine bowl of yum-yum from Global Soul, a food truck that was in Long Beach over the weekend.

I like talking about THAT.

These guys were selling this bad bowl and calling it Kinky Reggae. It was Jamaican Jerk Chicken over rice with Papaya Salsa, sprinkled with green onions. The chicken was boneless thighs that just fell apart and it had the perfect amount of fire to it. Enough to consider it spicy, not enough to kill your mouth.

This bird was cooked like restaurant quality. Beri beri gut... but a little pricey (close to $10, I don't exactly remember) but I pay good money for good food, fuck it. 


Next we ran into Ahn-Joo. It wasn't as ka-boom as Global Soul's amazing delight but worth mentioning.

I walked up to this Korean food truck like 5 times. Seriously. I had to keep reading the menu over & over... and I also to keep peeking inside to see if there was any authentic Koreans in the truck. No Koreans, me no order! me no likey!

I finally decided on the Korean Fried Chicken which was on a bed of this amazing rice. I'm not sure what was in the rice, I'm assuming burnt sesame oil, but it was EXCELLENT. It was also served with these small rice cakes wrapped in bacon. Not the sweet Japanese mochi kind of rice cake, but the one that sometimes come in those Korean soups.

Beware of food trucks. Not all food trucks are good. Just because they got their truck painted up all nice and hipster doesn't mean its gonna be good! But we lucked out on these two.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really high,
    it's nearly midnight,
    and dammit Nelson.
    Now I got to get out of bed, carry my bicycle upstairs and cycle to South London to get some YARD FOOD.

    ReplyDelete