Friday, February 12, 2016

I'M JUST HAPPY

SO every other Friday night we have 6 rounds of 10 minute sparring sessions at jiujitsu. Its usually the guys that haven't gotten enough during the week because of their work schedule or guys that are there all the time, just wanting to get better. I can dig both. 

Either way - an hour of sparring in a virtual fight, a chess game of grappling can be pretty taxing. And it gets even heavier when there happen to be a couple of black belt visitors from Guam... from Purebred BJJ Guam, to be exact. 

Sensei Stephen on the far left, Sensei Robert far right. The yobo and the hapa popolo guys are my regular training homies - Josh and Masai.

And back to the two black belts. Its always such a pleasure getting to train with and have live sparring with visitors. Its even a greater time when they're solid black belts. At first, it can be kind of crazy to think that these strangers are going to slap hands with you and agree to fighting until one or the other taps... which says "you got me". A mutual agreement to finish each other in a technical match. 

For the most part though, I feel like I'm in good hands with black belts. 99% of them are not out to try and injure you. Especially not these guys. But I would expect it could get quite ugly if you were to spar dirty or, you know, be a total dick.


I've always wanted to say this, I'm going to be honest, its been even more fun now being further along the whole jiujitsu experience (I tried to avoid 'journey' there, ha ha).  It hasn't really been that long for me but I've consistently been there for about 4-1/2 years now. Never took any "life breaks" and luckily never had any serious injuries, other than a few that had me sidelined for a couple of weeks or so. 

I honestly feel like I just got started. So much more to learn and drill a thousand times over into my brain. Into my muscle memory, to make it second nature. Many lingering questions I never really put into words that just kinda float around there - every time I'm in that position or state of mind during training. Things kinda just pop up in my head then float away.

I do need to take more risks in training; put myself into unfamiliar territory, which will be the only way I can move ahead. But ah, I can go on and on about this. Bottom line that its been fun. 




And then I came home to this delicious meal. Dirty rice. Ground beef, peas and brown rice. And a poached egg on top! Soon as I seen it, I thought to myself "what happened to low carbs today?" But how in the fucking hell do you not eat this? It cannot be passed up. 


Took a second shot of it just to show off my poached egg game. 3 minutes and done. Mahalos to Sasha for hooking it up. I'm feeling loved. I'm just happy. 

2 comments:

  1. I avoid Journey as much as I can. Their music sucks dead dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. funny, I cued up a little Journey yesterday. Had to get my Separate Ways fix. To, you know, break those chains that bind you.

      Delete